“Hail frequencies forward”
In San Francisco on 12/14/16 –I attended an event at the Commonwealth Club: Astronaut Mae Jemison: Launching Women into Science and Tech. Kimberly Bryant of Black Girls Code interviewed Dr. Jemison. I learned a lot more including the fact that she does not take selfie’s, but she did shake my hand. I was the sista in the tie who came in late and stalked you for a selfie at the end. I had on a pepper tie.
Here are 10 things I learned about the brilliant and no pun intended, down to earth Mae Jemision:
- She is an engineer, physician and astronaut.
- She was in fact the first black women to travel in space in 1992.
- She served in the Peace Corps.
- She wanted to be a professional dancer.
- She is a trekkie and is the only astronaut to appear in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- She holds 9 honorary doctorates, so that’s Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Jemison to you.
- Her current venture post retiring from NASA is the 100 Year Starship to create a business plan to last 100 years to fund research for interstellar travel.
- She is only 1 year older than yours truly.
- She did not succeed in her audition for Maria in the production of West Side Story when she was 14.
- She was born in Decatur, Alabama 10/17/56 (hey Mae, I was raised in Huntsville, Alabama, so I am your homie and I can travel, see my series #BlackinScandinavia. How about InterstellarBlesbian? Seriously, I have a passport although I don’t think it is needed for interstellar travel. Holla at your gurl Mae!)
Thanks for dropping pearls.
Peace, love, joy, gratitude, faith, courage, compassion, and blessings.