by Akilah Monifa
I attended Michael Jackson ONE by Cirque du Soleil at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. I knew nothing about the show. I love Michael Jackson’s music and have been to several Cirque du Soleil productions. It was extraordinary and here are 10 things I learned:
- Stranger in Moscow was the only song I wasn’t familiar with. “I was wandering in the rain mask of life, feelin’ insane swift and sudden fall from grace sunny days seem far away.”
- He once described Human Nature as “music with wings”.
- The patent for his legendary leaning forward seemingly in mid-air was on display as part of an exhibit at the National Archives in Washington D.C.
In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. and in a world filled with distrust, we must still date to believe.
- His debut of the moonwalk during the performance of Billie Jean on the Motown 25 television special on May 16, 1983 was watched by 47 million viewers.
I’ve always wanted to be able to tell stories, you know, stories that came from my soul. I’s like to sit by a fire and tell people stories – – make them cry and laugh, take them anywhere emotionally . . . . I’d like to tell tales to move their souls and transform them. I’ve always wanted to be able to do that.
7. Black or White was the most successful global single of his career, number 1 in over twenty countries In the United States topped the Billboard Hot 100 for seven weeks. The video was the most watched video premier in television history, debuting in 27 countries to 500 million viewers.
8. We want to take them places that they’ve never been before. We want to show them talent like they’ve never seen before. We’re putting love back into the world to remind the world that love is important. We’re all ONE.
9. The show is “inspired by and celebrates The King of Pop and is dedicated to Michael and his three children, Prince, Paris, and Blanket and to his mother, Katherine Jackson”.
10. ONE plays in a 2,000 seat theatre with 62 cast members, my favorite is Jean Sok from France portraying the BBoy character. A beautiful dancer with one leg.
Peace, love, gratitude, compassion and blessings.